(via MOST NOTED POSTS)
(Source: icanread, via dreamlessnights)
CLICK HERE for more life, love, friendship and inspiring quotes!
The Sprinkle Bakes Sixlets Cake
Cake:2 boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp real vanilla
2 tsp almond extract
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
8 large egg whites ½ tsp Wilton sky blue food coloring¾ cup multicolored jimmies (the kind you find in the ice cream section of the grocery store will hold up well in the batter)2 lbs. Sixlets candiesVarious and sundry sprinkles of your choosing for the top of the cake
Icing:8 egg whites1 cup sugarPinch of salt32 tbsp. (1 lb. or 4 US sticks) unsalted butter, cubed2 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease five 7-inch cake pans and line with parchment. You may also choose to use four 9” cake pans.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on a low speed for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Remove 6 cups of batter and tint with the sky blue food coloring. Add the multicolored jimmies to the blue batter and fold gently to combine.
- Pour batter in pans, alternating blue and white batters. Pull a knife or skewer through the batter to create a swirl. Bake cakes for 40 -50 minutes, or until cake springs back when pressed in the middle.
- Set a saucepan filled 1/3 full of water over medium high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together egg whites, sugar and salt in a heat-proof bowl. Set over simmering water and whisk until mixture is hot and sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Beat on low speed for 2 minutes, then increasing to medium-high until stiff peaks are formed.
- Continue beating at medium-high speed until mixture is fluffy and has cooled.
- Remove whisk attachment and replace with paddle attachment
- Decrease mixer speed and add butter, a little at a time, beating until well incorporated before the next addition.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Beat until icing is smooth. Increase speed if icing is slow to firm.
- Icecakes and stack them, making sure the edges are as even as possible. Apply an even coating of icing to the outside of the stacked cakes using an off-set spatula, filling any gaps and crevices.
- Starting at the bottom of the cake, gently push sixlets into the icing. Create a line of alternating colors (or use a solid color, your choice!) To achieve the graduated swirl, use colors in the same order on the second line, but move the first color over one space to the right. Continue this pattern all the way up the cake. By the time you’re done, (about 1 hour 20 minutes) you’ll be in a hypnotic state from applying sixlets sprinkles. This process is very meditative – enjoy the zen!
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with various and sundry. Add a sparkler if you’re into pyrotechnics…which I certainly am!
More yummy photos here!
(Source: weheartit.com, via acupcakeofheaven)
(Source: pinkfoods, via acupcakeofheaven)